Sunday, July 27, 2014

Identity

One of the definitions of identity is, "a sense of self". Do we know who we are? Do our students? 

The digital age has brought forth a new way to learn. We now have access to countless amounts of information. Research that was done in weeks can now be completed in hours. Technology has brought with it, the ability to discover ourselves in a unique way. 


As we talked about the Identity project in class, I thought of the need for each one of my students to discover or re-discover who they are. Each student in our class is unique and has something to offer. I think my job as a teacher is to let that person shine and let each individual in my class know just that; that they are an individual, unique and important. Technology has now granted us the ability to travel to other lands with a click of the button. We can research where are ancestors come from and what life was like hundreds of years ago. Technology can help us express ourselves and show people who we are. What do we stand for? What are our beliefs? What are all the different things that come together to make me, me?


I feel like we need to make sure that everyone we are entrusted to teach feel that sense of identity. They are not just another number in our classroom. Utilizing technology, we can expose them to various different ideas and topics without having to leave the classroom. We can help them develop that sense of self, and figure out what makes each individual unique in our class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment