Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blog # 3

How has technology been used in education?

     Technology has never been a stranger in the education world. As technology is developed, schools have tried to adapt the technology to fit a niche for student needs. As computers began to be a household mainstay, schools began to purchase computers. Many advocates of technology have proclaimed its implementation as a school changing experience. This has not been the case, however, computers are still viewed as assessment tools or game machines. 


How should it be used in the future?

     It is an exciting time to be an educator. There are so many new tools available to us. As teachers, we need to break free of the traditional teacher role. The e-learning market will reportedly reach $107 billion this year (http://www.inc.com/aaron-skonnard/5-top-trends-in-education-technology-2015.html). Technological tools have created a way to customize education for each individual learner. Imagine students working according to their own readiness levels. Technology also provides us with ways to measure student progress more effectively and efficiently. In my classroom, I can quickly analyze core concepts each of my students need to master using Mastery Connect. 
     When I think of technology use in my classroom I think I sometimes fall into the trap of using it as merely an assessment tool. Although I try to let my students create new things utilizing various applications, I don’t feel like I am doing enough. 


     I feel like it is our responsibility to show administrators and school leaders that technology in our schools is not being used like it could be. Slowly, as educators begin to integrate technological tools, school leaders will see how it benefits students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment